Re: [g-a-devel]Representing Accessible Text in gnome-help

Hi Padraig,

Thanks for the opportunity to review this.

> My original implementation of accessibility for gtkhtml2 had a separate
> accessibility object for each layout box. My second effort at
> implementing accessibility for gtkhtml2 attempts to report one
> accessible object for multiple layout boxes. I am not very happy with
> how this works.
>
> I would welcome comments on what accessible objects should be reported
> in the following cases:
>
> 1) Run the commannd
> gnome-help ghelp:///opt/gnome-2.4/share/gnome/help/user-guide/C/wgosnautilus.xml
> to display nautilus help amd chhose section 1.1 Introduction to
> Nautilus File Manager.

First off, I'm getting lots of Glib-GObject-WARNINGS at (gnomehelp:2055) -
something about an invalid cast from 'HelmlLinkAccessible' to 'AtkObject'

Second, I see no use of relations.  Since you are making a large heirarchy
of objects for this document, using the flows-from and flows-to relations
to ensure a screen reader can read the whole document seems like it could
be important.  Especially when it comes to rendering more complex
documents with tables and the like.

Third, I wonder about the use of the atk-table widget for the top content
region object that contains "Previous" and "Next".  Tables are used a lot
for layout in HTML, and also sometimes for actualy tabular data.  It isn't
clear to me that we have a foolproof algorythm to determine which use, but
it would certainly be nice if possible.  At the very least, a screen
reader shouldn't be telling a user that "Previous" is cell #1 and "Next'
is cell #2.  That just doesn't make conceptual sense.

> 2) Run the command
> gnome-help
> to display a man page. On Solaris I choose Manual
> Pages|Applications|X11|dsdm(1x)

Can you provide the specific command line you used to invoke the man page
in question?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team