Re: [g-a-devel]accessibility detective - new project proposa

Bill Haneman wrote:
On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 03:29, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 01:37, David Bolter wrote:

Any interest (and available resources) in having a automated report generator that walks the GUI tree of an application and takes guesses at things that are bad for accessibility? The report could then be used by application developers. Applications that pass the test could be awarded some designation/logo/?

I would be very interested in helping out with this. It sounds like it
could be quite fiddly, but rewarding. And I need to learn more about the
fine details of this accessibility stuff -- I've been nipping around the
edges for too long with little success.

Hi Malcolm:

Thanks, this would be great!  I have also had this on my (non-public)
TODO list but haven't had time to start.  If I can help with suggestions
or bits of implementation I'd be very happy to - what this project needs
IMO is someone to move it forward and take the lead, and it sounds as
though you might be that person :-)

I agree, assuming this isn't stepping on Michael's toes?

I am sure David, myself, Peter, and the gnopernicus team will all have
some thoughts on the features and items on the "checklist" which we
think the tool should check for.  You might also take a number of good
ideas from the Java 'Accessibility Helper' which tests certain
accessibility aspects of Java applications.

regards,

- Bill

I know Michael Meeks has had an item like this on his public TODO list
for a long time, so we might at least make him happy. :-)

Are you offering to lead the way with a shining light, David?

I don't have the time that leading this project deserves. Like Bill, I would be delighted if you could take this on, and am happy to contribute where I can.

cheers

David

Let me know how you want to do things and I'll see what I can
contribute.

Cheers,
Malcolm