Re: [g-a-devel] Why refer to automake as automake-1.7

Hi Kieran:

Different versions of automake have small incompatibilities.  Various
GNOME modules require, at this time, different versions of automake, so
you must have more than one version installed to do GNOME builds from
cvs.  Therefore the only way to keep them separate, reliably, is to add
the suffix.

Installing/bootstrapping a GNOME build environment should create the
appropriate links/directories for you.  Sounds like a step got omitted
along the way for you.

- Bill