[g-a-devel] Why refer to automake as automake-1.7

I have a rather old computer 32 MB RAM and all that so I've got SuSE 6.2
on it.  Then I wanted to install gnopernicus so I downoladed (using cvs)
the latest gnome stuff and of course gnopernicus itself.
Can anyone tell me why automake is referred to in a lot of the scripts
that run it as automake-1.7?  I have the correct automake but as you would
suspect it is called automake no "-1.7" at the end.  There are similar
references to autoconf and aslocal.  This easily solved but very
infuriating.