Re: [g-a-devel]Gnome-speech and the callbacks

Hi Draghi,

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 12:08, Draghi Puterity wrote:
> first the good news. Callbacks are working. It was some weird build problem
> I cannot explain, but after an "make uninstall" followed by a "make install"
> on gnopernicus and gnome-speech everything seems to work as expected, I
> receive the notification. Thank you for your help and soory for triggering a
> false alarm.

	Wierd indeed ;-) - are you sure this isn't a problem that bonobo-slay
could fix. I'd tend to run my server from the command-line in the build
directory [and ensure that it traps out if it fails to register].

> 1. I get an Accessible object from AT-SPI and I extract the text from it
> 2. I send this text to GS (there is a queue involved) which will speak it
> asynchronously
> 3. When I get the callback I need find the Accessible whose text is
> currently beeing spoken in order to retrive its coordinates.
> 4. Having the coordinates I set the new magnifier ROI.

	Fair enough - it's hard to do then I guess; you don't want to be
instantiating new BonoboObjects / adding listeners per whatever - you
want to have a queue / hash associated with your listener I guess.

> Now I thought that a good way to achive point 3 would be to be able to pass
> to the GS a gpointer to the original Accessible (actually a gpointer to some
> structure containing the Accessible but this is irelevant for the purpose of
> the discussion). This was the rationale of my request to Marc. I wasn't
> aware that there is a "Bonobo way" to do this, and the "user_data" parameter
> seemed as a harmless addition to API for Bonobo ignorant I am.

	Haha ;-) I don't think you're ignorant. It's possible that it's a
sensible way to do things; can you just tell me when you've sketched out
the headers and I'll have a poke perhaps ?

>  (BTW, Michael
> is there any other Bonobo doc besides the (incomplete) API on the web? ).

	Yes; there was some more stuff done by some lad that arrived recently -
with pretty pictures too; I forget where it is.

> I have the same goals, I want a really clean SRS, but sorry documentation
> comes after features in my priority list (for strong reasons I don't want to
> discuss here). I will try to put better comments in the code and than kindly
> ask you and the comunity for a code review.

	Hey :-) don't comment the code, that's a true waste of time [ see cups
for an example of API horror, with 1 comment per line ], just write /
design the code so clearly it doesn't need commenting :-)

	Hope it goes well,