Re: [g-a-devel]Bounding boxes and rtl text

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 14:47, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> I have been looking at the result of calling atk_text_get_character_extents()
> for rtl characters; I am using the GTK test program which has some Hebrew text.
>
> Currently atk_text_get_character_extents() reports a negative width for such
> characters. Is this what we expect to happen?

Hmm, good question.

I would think that the RTL nature of the character should be gettable as
an AtkText attribute of the character, and that therefore the implicit
RTL info in the bounding box is redundant.

So perhaps it would be better to always report the "min" x and y values
in the x and y returns, and report non-negative width and height.  At
any rate I think some client code may be expecting that negative bounds
info indicates invalid results (i.e. "-1" is returned for out-of-bounds
chars, as bounds for components that aren't onscreen, etc.)

-Bill