Re: [g-a-devel]Re: inconsistent in gnopernicus event process for HTML input widgets

Hi Padraig, Simford,

> > Yes, there is much difference between gtk and mozilla toolkits.
> > Firstly, Mozilla does not expose the relation (between label and its
> > widget)to at-spi, but just return the label name when the widget is
> > requested for getText().
>
> This may be none of my business but ...
>
> Is this correct behavior from Mozilla? Should it report LABEL_FOR relation
> on the label?

One of the most significant use cases of the LABEL_FOR relation is to give
empty text fields an appropriate AccessibleName.  However, it isn't the only
one.  There is the AccessibleDescription, potential other relationships
(e.g. a grouping relationships, where for example a "Name: |...|" pair is
part of a larger "Address" group containing "Address: |...|" and the like),
and other alternate presentation techniques that might be used in Braille
and for people with learning disabilities.

Simply transferring the AccessibleName under the covers is a fast way to get
significant end-user functionality now, but it hurts other current and
future uses.  Mozilla should retain the information and expose it via the
API.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team