[g-a-devel]Re: Localized Role names

Bill Haneman wrote:

> padraig o'briain wrote:
>
> >Bill,
> >
> >I have appended a patch to bug #128343 to fix build issues with JABG after recent API additions to AT-SPI.
> >
> >I have a concern about the localized name for the role. I assume that this localized name should be the same for GTK and Java applications. It seems to me that the best way to achieve this is for AT-SPI to get same "English" name for the role from Java or GTK and do the translation in AT-SPI instead of in ATK and Java.
> >
> This would be contrary to the current API - particularly since Java
> 'always' localizes role names.  I also don't see how this can work with
> the (proposed) mechanism for registering new role names (with both a
> non-localized and localized string).  I think we need
> atk_role_register_localized (gchar *name, gchar *localized_name);

Java allows you to get the English name for a role.
role.toDisplayString(java.util.Locale.US);

The JABG currently returns a role of "application". As this role does not exist in Java it looks like the JABG will need to figure out how to localize this. As far as I know this is currently the only string in the JABG which needs to be localized.