Re: [g-a-devel]AccessibleKeystrokeListener and keys logging

Hi Bernard:

You said, regarding KEYLISTENER sync types:

> NOSYNC allows me to register my listeners, but I then steal the event
> (I only want to log it and let the app consume it afterwards)

I am not sure I understand what you mean; if you aren't "consuming" the
event, only snooping it, NOSYNC is probably what you want.  If you
believe that the events are being consumed even though you have not
specified CANCONSUME in your flags, then that would be a bug.  What
exactly did you mean by your comment?  Perhaps we are misunderstanding
each other here.

> ALL_WINDOWS fails to register the listeners :-(

This is probably because your listener request includes some key
combinations that are already reserved by "passive key grabs" (to use
XWindows terminology).  ALL_WINDOWS listeners can only be registered for
keys and modifier combinations that are not bound to other global system
commands.  In general ALL_WINDOWS should only be used for specific
command key sequences used by assistive technologies, and in this
edition of at-spi the ALL_WINDOWS flag should definately not be used for
key echo or general purpose key snooping; for those applications you
should use either NOSYNC or CANCONSUME, without ALL_WINDOWS.

> Does anybody here know if/how keyevent transparent logging could be
> done with at-spi ?

Key event logging should use NOSYNC.  Because of the architecture of the
X Windows system, such logging cannot be done at a truly global/general
basis, so you will only log key events which are not being grabbed
globally by some other application first (for instance, Alt-TAB would
not normally be loggable in this way, since it's used by the GNOME
window manager).  But "normal" key events should be received and logged
successfully using this method, as long as the application currently
focussed is a GNOME application [1]

Best regards,

Bill

[1] Or another application which supports event logging in ATK, for
instance this should work with Java-Swing applications and
StarOffice/OpenOffice, but doesn't not yet work with Mozilla as far as I
know.  Also, the CANCONSUME flag currently is not supported while
Star/OpenOffice or Java applications are focussed, this is a known bug.