Re: [g-a-devel]Re: Bug 89336

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 09:48, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Padraig,
> 	I spent _days_ trying to get Bonobo to be 'accessible', and allow the
> toolbars to be reached by the keyboard. It seems that this was just so
> much wasted time - so I'm extremely pissed off about it.

I think the bug's concern is the resulting behavioral difference between
Gtk+ menu keynav and menu keynav in embedded bonobo components.

We really appreciate the work done to make bonobo controls accessible; I
hope it doesn't all get ripped out, but even if it does (and is replaced
by something else that works), I hardly think it was wasted effort.  At
least someone (you) now has a comprehensive understanding of the
problem, and has left a trail for others.

Last I heard, the plan of record was that toolbar keyboard-navigation
for gtk+ was a 2.2 feature; I sense some slippage there but it is still
something we need in the near-to-medium term.  As long as we are missing
that, any gtk+ apps that use toolbars must provide complete duplication
of toolbar features via menus, in order to be considered accessible.  So
I think your toolbar-focus code is serving some purpose, by removing
this requirement for Bonobo toolbars.  I think that the only difficulty
other than the menu-nav side-effect is that Calum and others may prefer
a slightly different keynav keybinding for toolbars.

I don't have a problem with leaving in the existing
sucking_gtk_keybindings code, my impression is that it is doing more
good than harm.  However I think we should press Owen again (he made a
comment in the bug report that could be used to press for gtk+ changes)
to see if Padraig's four-line gtk+ patch, which appears to solve this
problem, is acceptable.

regards,

Bill