[g-a-devel]Re: Bug 89336

Hi Padraig,

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 16:00, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> Bug 89336 complains of a difference in behaviour between gedit and gnome-calc
> after F10 is pressed. In gnome-calc pressing a mnemonic of an open menu does not
> work when the focus is on the menu bar. The operation does work in gedit.
>
> The cause of the difference in behavior is the function
> sucking_gtk_keybindings_cb() in bonobo-ui-sync-menu.c.
>
> What would be the effect of removing this function?

	Well - it depends. Since I did this - Gtk+/Usability moved the
goalposts underneath me.

	I spent _days_ trying to get Bonobo to be 'accessible', and allow the
toolbars to be reached by the keyboard. It seems that this was just so
much wasted time - so I'm extremely pissed off about it.

	Worse - AFAIR it was extremely difficult to try and persuade Gtk+ to
allow me to conditionally focus widgets - hence the
sucking_gtk_keybindings mess - the widgets only entering the focus chain
when <Control> is held down and all manner of other mess. Similarly
hooking into whatever mechanism Gtk+ uses to do Menu focusing looked
extremely hard when I poked - simply because Gtk+ uses it's own
privileged internals in a way Bonobo can't.

	Clearly I'd like to bin all the junk code in there, and make the
toolbars inaccessible by keyboard - is this the case in Gtk+ ?
ultimately I'm not at all sure what the result is, whether gtk+ toolbars
are key navigable [ were not last time I looked ], and what the plan is
going forward.

	Also on past form I have a total lack of interest in trying to hack
round non-expandable Gtk+ code, to try and implement hacks to try and
make things accessible that arn't needed.

	In short - I'm horribly annoyed about it; and I've lost interest ;-) if
you can fix it - please do so, I'd love a patch cleaning that rubbish
out. Is toolbar a11y officially a lost cause ? does Gtk+ do it ? etc. My
instinct is to rip all that code out - but I havn't had time yet.