Re: [g-a-devel]New revision of GNOME Speech IDL

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 09:43, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Marc,
> 	In which case - I'd very strongly recommend making the 'language' a
> 'string' which is reasonably extensible - instead of an enum which
> (being flat) just isn't.

I agree, and I think Paul from the FreeTTS team pointed this out also.
There are standardized "locale" strings, etc. used for textual output
already, we should probably use them or another ISO-standard locale
string format if available.

Paul had some other comments which I think have merit though I don't
agree with his proposed solutions in some cases.

Also Paul mentioned in a meeting that he felt the voice services should
have some "global" configurability.  This is somewhat at odds with the
possibility that speech servers might be shared, remote, etc.

I think we might consider that the "default" settings for drivers and
their voices (i.e. those parameters used by gnome-speech if the client
does not explicitly set them) something independent of gnome-speech IDL,
perhaps controllable via gconf at the gnome-speech level.  That way a
user could go into a "Speech" control panel on the GNOME desktop and set
things like default driver, preferred (default) voices, default speech
rate, etc.  This would address his point without adding weird "global"
APIs to what is otherwise a client-centric service API.

-Bill