[g-a-devel]Re: keyboard click and a11y

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 20:19, Bill Haneman wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 19:42, jacob berkman wrote:
> > as detailed in bug #78015[1], support for keyboard click volume in
> > various X servers is somewhat flaky, and is of dubious value to most
> > users.
> >
> > however, i was wondering if it is useful for a11y.  if not, i'd like to
> > remove it.
>
> Hi Jacob:
>
> It is pretty useful for accessibility.  In the future we might have
> other (better?) ways of doing this (i.e. audio key feedback, for
> instance key echo via speech)  but some users will prefer the click
> anyway, and at the moment the key click is probably the best thing we
> have for some users.  I'd prefer to have it even with slightly flaky
> volume control than not to have it at all, at least for the short term.

it's not so much that volume control is flaky.  the feature plain and
simple does not work (and has never worked, as long as i've used gnome
(~4 years)) on XFree86.

if the feature needs to stay for a11y reasons, i'd rather it then be in
the a11y capplet, as it will be less visible there.

another option would to disable it for linux builds (which doesn't
handle the case of it running remotely to a sun x server), or to have a
little caveat label saying it might not work (seems a pretty bad
solution as well).

jacob
--
"don't get me wrong, i think that radiohead are amazing. i love their
 music and i love their ethos, but that thom yorke guy always seems to