Re: [g-a-devel]Re: at-poke patch for interactive refresh and Java compat

Hi Bill,

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 20:56, Bill Haneman wrote:
> I attach a revised patch; if you want to ignore it for now I will just
> commit in the morning, but I made a couple of changes other than fixing
> your comments above (I tried to be stylistically consistent, much of the
> trouble comes from working in multiple languages/modules at the same
> time :-)

	The changes look fine - thanks.

> * I added a primitive display of attributes at the current text caret
> position; for now I did this by hand-editing the .glade2 file, perhaps
> you will want to run glade2 and clean this up but at the moment there
> are two GtkLabels, one which says "Attributes at Caret" and an adjacent
> one that displays the attributes as a semicolon-delimited string.

	Oh ? building glade-2 is not that hard; you just need to get the right
branch of the right tree :-) I think glade-gnome2-branch of module
'glade' is what you want.

> > 	I just need to totally re-write the tree model to try and synchronize
> > the tree model on both sides of the link in a reliable way and make that
> > jive with the tree model at some stage, and then we'll have a rock-solid
> > beast :-)
>
> Yes, that will really be great!

	And fix much of the efficiency / roundtrip problem in building /
displaying the tree. Problem is I'm in bug-fixing mode currently so I'm
hoping to farm off the tree sync work to someone else ;-)

> I have some minor concerns about efficiency; although at-poke is clearly
> a test tool and not a demo ;-) it does a lot of API calling which makes
> things appear quite slow when compared, for instance, with AT demos
> which make a more selective use of the API.

	I'm always amazed at how blindingly fast it is given that it does
thousands of roundtrips to just show the tree view, never mind querying
the current widget :-)

> Best regards, and thanks for letting me hack away at your nifty utility
> :-)

	No problem at all; my pleasure - thanks for your contribution,