Re: [g-a-devel]Tooltips and accessibility

> Hi Michael,
>
> > On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 17:06, Marc Mulcahy wrote:
> > > I think the description might not be enough in the case of magnification
or
> > > some other application which wants to draw attention to the tooltip, since
> > > the description wouldn't give the tooltip's location.  i understand
> > > Michael's discontentmet with showing a new GailToplvel when a tooltip is
> > > displayed.  Do we have any other options between not giving any
> > > notification, and notifying the tooltip creation as a new GailToplevel?
> >
> >         Could we not make the tooltip window a child of the accessible that
> > threw it up ? though that's most likely ugliness and pain, hmm.
> >
> >         Sigh; possibly the problem with tooltips is not emitting
> > children-changed on the application when a tooltip window disappears -
> > or (quite possibly) the resources associated with the tooltip are not
> > destroyed, just hidden thus the Atk objects hang around [ and I still
> > very strongly feel that proxies for un-mapped GtkWidgets should not
> > appear in the tree at all ].
>
> Is this not a perfect application of Accessible Relations?  The tooltop window
> is a top level window, but it has a special relationship with the widget it is
> next to (and which popped it up).

The tooltip window is the same for each widget so the relationship would have to
be added and removed as the window is shown and hidden. We also have the option
(the key stroke escapes me at present) of displaying the tooltip for the focused
widget. This would require that we change the content of the relationship.

Padraig