Re: [g-a-devel]GtkStatus thing ...

> Subject: Re: [g-a-devel]GtkStatus thing ...
> To: "Padraig O'Briain" <Padraig Obriain sun com>
>
> Hi Padraig,
>
> On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 08:51, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> > Currently for GtkStatusbar, in gailsttausbar.c, we report the text on the
label
> > as the Accessible name of an AtkObject.
> >
> > We do not currently implement AtkText interface.
> > Do you believe that adding this interface adds value ?
>
> 	It depends very much on what you see the name vs. the Text being useful
> for. eg. with a label it has no name but uses the Text interface to
> expose the text (typically).
>
> 	It would seem to me that a name is a static thing eg. 'Status bar'
> whereas the Text interface exports something that can change - and the
> status bar changes it's contents extremely frequently.

Currently for GtkStatusbar and GtkLabel the accessible name is the text on the
label. So accessible name is not necessarily a static thing. A notification is
emitted if the name changes so one can be keep track of what is currently in the
status bar.

My impression was that the AtkText interface was available to allow one to get
more information that just all of the text, e.g. if one wished to track what
attributes were set on some or all of the text or deal with the sae where the
text was too big to have it all returned at once.

Marc or Bill can elaborate on this.

Padraig