Re: [g-a-devel]Panel accessibility

I disagree. The accesssible name should describe the specifics of the object, not it's type. Most ATs are going to read the accessible name to tell the user what they've tabbed to, so hearing "launcher button, launcher button, launcher button" isn't much better than "button, button, button" as it is currently. I would recommend we figure out some way to set the name of the panel launchers-- maybe just set the name to the tooltip. That way the launchers would have the same text as name and description, but at least they'd have a name.

Marc

At 02:57 PM 3/6/2002 +0000, Padraig O'Briain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at making Gnome Panel accessible (except the keyboard
> navigation which is done by Padraig). One thing is that the buttons
> corresponding to the launchers do not have names. I was wondering if
> this needs to be done in Panel or in the application/applet itself.

The launchers are in the panel. Currently they (at least the ones for
GnomeTerminal and Netscape, which are the only ones I have used, do) have a
tooltip which usually describes the application to be launched. But the button
does not have a name, accessible or otherwise. I suggest that the accessible
name be set to "launcher button"; other suggestion welcome.

This can be done in create_launcher().

You also need to consider menu button and panel-widget.

Padraig