Re: [g-a-devel]Implementing ATK on Custom Widgets

Hi Mark,

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 11:57, Marc Mulcahy wrote:
> Still attempting to get libzvt accessibility support running.  We need to
> make a decision as to how and what parts of gail should be exposed.  I've
> run into an issue with the technique used to provide accessibility for
> gtkhtml2-- namely that the accessibility implementation class can't have
> any data of its own.  This won't work for libzvt, since it *has* to keep
> some callback pointers laying around.  I could attach a private data
> structure to the accessible object using a quark or some such horrid and
> ugly thing, but this seems to break the GNOME standard of straightforward code.

	I thought you spent some time doing work to make this unnecessary and
AFAIR at the time I pointed out that you wouldn't be able to add
instance data, anyway.

> I propose that at least we expose GailWidget, so that accessibility
> implementations for custom widgets don't have to re-invent the wheel for
> the basic functions like name, description, screen geometry etc.

	Sigh; what headers does gail install currently ? seemingly none - that
seems good, but ...

	I suppose the release team need consulting - there are rumblings going
on over there; either way I have no particular conceptual problems with
gtkhtml2 depending on gail, or gail exporting some minimal API to help
code re-use.