Re: [g-a-devel]gail patch ...

Michael said:

>	Also; I'm concerned that work is going into 'ferret' inside
>gail, but that this would be best placed to test the hierarchy inside
>at-spi or even libgail-gnome, since then we can fully test the
>framework. Are there any plans to move it there ? it looks like it
>duplicates and out-classes the festival support in simple-at.
>
>	Regards,
>
>		Michael.

Hi:

Ferret serves a different purpose from at-spi.  For one thing, it serves
as a demonstration vehicle for accessibility that requires less of the
software stack, which sometimes is a good thing.

Eventually we would indeed like to write a ferret look-alike for at-spi.
However even once that's done, the existing gail/test/ferret should
stay, because though it's important to have integration tests like those
in at-spi, gail's ferret serves as both a module test for gail and a
tool for exploring applications and assessing their accessibility.

The festival support used by at-spi tests and demos will be migrating to
gnome-speech as that module (gnome-speech) matures.  In the meantime the
somewhat hacked-together text-to-speech support in festival and
simple-at serves a purpose but probably shouldn't have more time
invested unless we need a particular feature for a demo.

Regards,

-Bill

------
Bill Haneman x19279