Re: [g-a-devel]Support for Color in ATK

Hi Bill,

> In the case of text, we can if need be support color information via the
> existing attribute API (though we would prefer that the attribute information be
> more semantically meaningful) if we encounter cases where color information is
> not redundant with other types of attribution.  However as Peter points out, for
> other types of visuals we can't reliably get color information from "background"
> or "foreground" since most gnome UI elements (which are not already completely
> specified by the theme/state information) are multicolored, pixmap-based, or are
> icons of some sort.

I think for text we should definitely support color information via the
Attribute API.  I expect that in too many cases color will be used to mean
things that aren't indicated in any other place (for example, I seriously
doubt that end-users writing documents will have read the GNOME Accessibility
guidelines and be taking care to use named styles associated with text
coloring; they'll just color the text and assume that anyone reading the
document will see the colors!).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team