[g-a-devel]Gnopernicus Performance Issues

Hi All,

I built and ran Gnopernicus and have a few questions:

1. There should probably be something that the user can run called "gnopernicus". When I download and install something, I expect to be able to type the package name and have it run.

2. I notice that in many instances in srlow, especially in sr_object, you duplicate much of the sorts of things provided by glib, namely object reference counting. Is there a reason for this?

3. Gnopernicus seems to be very slow in responding to keystrokes and at-spi events (more than half a second on my P4 1.7 GHZ.). Any ideas where these performance problems may be coming from? Note that my small test application called Chatterbox doesn't seem to have these issues.

4. I notice that if something has no name, Gnopernicus doesn't speak anything. It is useful to hear "nameless" or even just the role spoken. This can be demonstrated when popping up a context menu with shift-f10. The context menu has no name, but hearing "menu" is useful so one knows that something has happened.

5. The role of an object is currently being spoken before the name. It is arguably more efficient to hear the name first and then the role, since then one doesn't have to listen through the role name to hear the name when quickly tabbing through a dialog. Will this be configurable and switchable?

BTW: I'll get gnome-speech hooked up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Marc