Re: [g-a-devel]Problem Installing Automake

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 06:36:30AM -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I'm installing Gnome in preparation for adding support for a tactile
> graphics printer to libgnomeprint. After downloading gnome-print from CVS,
> I tried to build it. Configure said it needed automake, so I got that.
> Whe I tried to build automake it said that it needed autoconf, so I got
> that. Autoconf built and installed successfully, as evidenced by the
> presencee of the man page. Automake also seemed to install, but when I
> tried to build gnome-print it again said that it needed automake. There is
> also no automake man page. To install automake I followed the install
> instructions for automake and tried to install it twice. What could be the
> problem? I don't yet have Gnome on my system, since Gnopernicus isn't
> really working, but I will soon install Redhat 8.0 on another partition.
> Right now I am using Redhat 7.3.

My first suggestion would be to wonder if you really need to build from
source. It's probably easier to just grab the rpms for automake,
autoconf and libtool and just install them.

Also, what version of automake and autoconf did you install? Looking at
the code, libgnomeprint requires automake-1.4, not automake-1.6, so if
you just grabbed the latest version you could find, it will not work.
You need to be able to run

	automake-1.4 --version

and get some useful output.

Malcolm

--
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.