Re: [g-a-devel]gnopernicus robustness and a11y tools in the GNOME2.2 release

Hi Glynn,

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 21:10, Glynn Foster wrote:
> As you know, we were involved giving a demo of this stuff to a VP last
> week - this stuff is not the most trivial to setup and I really, really
> feel that we need someone to write up some documentation on it - how to
> set it up, how it works, etc...

	The vast majority of the setup problems I believe are trivially caught
and fixed at runtime - by decent exception handling and flagging like:

	"I couldn't activate the gnome-speech backend, this is probably
	 because it's not installed in the right place; the exception
	 was 'unknown component OAFIID:Foo/Bar'".

	etc. It seems gnopernicus churns lots of debug messages of the form:

	"Succeeded in setting up minor component a"

	but not things like

	"Totally failed to activate sound backend because ..."

> Is that possible? since otherwise I somewhat regret to think that no one
> will test it or get interested in it :/

	Ultimately if hackers find it hard - users find it impossible; and
there is no excuse for bad runtime diagnostics.