Re: Gnome over Exceed

On 28 June, 2002 - Wilfried Steiner wrote:

> Dear Experts out there !
>
> I've recently installed the new Gnome 2.0 beta, for sun solaris 9.
>
> There are no problems when using it local at the server.
>
> However, when I try to use it remotely over a 100Mbit network,
> it takes almost 15 minutes to startup and 5 to 10 minutes for each
> application to start.

I have a machine with G2 beta on Solaris 9 as well. I can display single
apps from it to a Solaris 8/Sparc machine and also to an x86 laptop
running Debian Woody. I see no such slowdowns. When displaying to the
Debian machine, apps crash with an XKeyboard assertion as soon as I
touch the keyboard.. haven't investigated further right now.

Try running 'truss -f -p <pid of gnome application>' when it's starting
to see what it's waiting for..

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric cs umu se, http://www.cs.umu.se/~stric/
`- Student and SysAdmin at Computing Science, University of Umeå