Re: How to determine a GNOME version

<quote who="Ladislav Bodnar">

> Is there a way to find out which GNOME version a Linux distribution includes
> by looking at included GNOME packages?

Looking at the version of libgnome is generally pretty accurate.

> Everybody is talking about GNOME 2.0,
> but I've just browsed through the package list on ftp.gnome.org and I could
> hardly see any package containing 2.0 (or 1.99).

Everything bound for 2.0 is in the pre-gnome2 directory.

> My question is - which package determines that this is GNOME 2.0 or GNOME
> 2.0.1? All KDE packages come with the same version number, but I find the
> GNOME system highly confusing.

The GNOME "system" involves many different pieces of software, so releasing
all of them with the same version number is not likely to happen. However,
we are making coherent release sets, which you'll find under the 'releases'
directories on ftp.gnome.org. These are the versions that are tested and
designed to work together.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
            ...                           *bounce*bounce*bounce*