How to determine a GNOME version

Hello,

Is there a way to find out which GNOME version a Linux distribution includes
by looking at included GNOME packages? Everybody is talking about GNOME 2.0,
but I've just browsed through the package list on ftp.gnome.org and I could
hardly see any package containing 2.0 (or 1.99). My question is - which
package determines that this is GNOME 2.0 or GNOME 2.0.1? All KDE packages
come with the same version number, but I find the GNOME system highly
confusing.

If anybody cares to explain, I'd be most grateful.

Ladislav Bodnar