changing background in Gnome2

I get one of those segmentation faults when I try and
change my background from the Control Center.  I've
searched the archives and there's no mention of that.
I have Suse 8 and I was using Gnome 1.4 just fine
until I installed Gnome2 RC1.  I also have in my
control center a thing for Palm Pilots and it says
"MissingName" above the Pilot stuff.  I think release
candidate 1 screwed up my Gnome, and I'm wondering if
anyone has an idea on how to fix it, or should I
re-install and then download the latest version of
Gnome?  Programs run fine, except for Redcarpet which
only runs when I login as root also.  If I'm under my
user account, and try to enter the root password when
starting red carpet it won't start it.  Weird huh.
Hope you had a happy 4th!

Joe