Re: Gnome on SunBlade 100

James Henstridge wrote:

> Ritenour, Steven wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >   I just installed Gnome 2.0 (Sun's beta release) on my SunBlade 100 running
> >Solaris 8.  My machine has 2 heads on it and I understand 2.0 supports multiple
> >monitors, but I'm only getting one to come up.  The 2nd one appears to be half
> >working as I can drag my mouse pointer to it, but the screen is blank and
> >doesn't respond to any mouse clicks.
> >
> The multihead support didn't make it into GTK+ 2.0, and instead has been
> retargetted for GTK+ 2.2 (which is basically just 2.0 plus multihead and
> a few fixes; it is already nearing maturity).  Multihead support is
> targetted at GNOME 2.2 at the moment (which will include GTK+ 2.2), but
> it is likely that some distributors (such as Sun) may distribute
> versions of gnome that include gtk+ 2.2 and some gnome 2.2 components
> (such as panel and nautilus multihead features).
>
> Until then, I suppose you could manually start apps on the second head
> by adding "--display :0.1" or something similar to some launchers on the
> panel, in order to starts apps on the second head.

Yes, Sun's beta 2.0 shipped with the multi-head version of gtk+.  The panels
and Nautilus file manager are not enabled yet for multi-head which explains
why the second screen is bank.  However Metacity is multi-head aware so
your applications will be window managed if you invoke them with --display=:0.1
as suggested.

John