Re: ggv not getting restored after logout

Deepa <deepa chacko wipro com> writes:

> I made the session management changes to ggv.  This is what I did:
> * Changed the key to /apps/app_name/sessions/app_session_id/save_key
> * Changed gnome_config functions to Gconf
>
> I started a gnome 2 session and executed ggv. When I logged out and
> then logged back in,  ggv did not get restored. However, I found out
> that the values got saved in the location specified.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here??

Did you save your session when you logged out?

The thing to look at is ~/.gnome/session to see if ggv is in there.

BTW, I don't think changing this usage of gnome_config to GConf is
really a good idea. Our current session manager uses gnome_config
anyway. GConf has no advantage over gnome_config whatsoever for saving
session data; text files are _fine_ for saving session data.

Also, my earlier recommendation for
/apps/app_name/sessions/app_session_id as the place to put session
data is wrong; you can't use the session ID to key session data. You
must use a unique identifier generated per-session-save.
Since GnomeClient already handles this for gnome_config, it's another
reason not to use GConf here. Yet another reason is that using GConf
rewrites working code for no special reason, and another reason is
that using GConf will make login times slower. ;-)

Anyhow, have a look at
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/porting/ar01s23.html for what to
use instead of apps/app_session_id.

Havoc