Re: Gnome 2 Alpha release: GConf 1.1.1 build fails

On 27 Sep 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Jens Finke <jens triq net> writes:
> >
> > I had to patch the Gconf-1.1.1 package in order to get it build with the
> > rest of the Gnome 2 alpha release. Especially it should search for the
> > orbit-idl-2 compiler. The other thing is a simple typo.
> >
> > AFAICS these issues are both fixed in CVS so maybe you can make a new
> > release for the GNOME 2 alpha?
> >

> Thanks for the reminder. The bad thing is that GConf doesn't work
> correctly in parallel install at the moment, see my post to
> gnome-components-list/orbit-list. I can release with the orbit-idl-2
> Makefile fix and at least it will compile. I have huge outstanding
> patches to both stable and unstable though to make it work, that won't
> make this release I guess.

As a compromise, apply my suggested patch and make a release only
with these. That way it can at least be compiled. Otherwise the whole
"GNOME 2 Alpha Release" thing doesn't make any sense. I think "alpha"
doesn't mean it must run perfectly or even run, but it should at least be
compileable.

Regards,

   Jens