libsoup as a replacement for gnome-http

Hi,

On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 10:14, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >   gnome-http
>
> Does something actually use - or will be using gnome-http in gnome-2.0?

It has been suggested that I introduce the libsoup library as a
replacement for gnome-http in Gnome 2.  libsoup is well integrated with
Glib, and with the platform in general, supports a lot of cool features
not in gnome-http (see below), and is flexible without being too
lowlevel.

Cool Stuff:
	* HTTP 1.1
	* Completely async
	* Mainloop driven
	* Generic HTTP method support (w/ POST)
	* DNS cache
	* Connection cache
	* Persistent connections
	* HTTP/SOCKS4/SOCKS5 Proxy support
	* Basic/Digest/NTLM authentication support
	* Redirects
	* License-clean SSL support

-Alex

P.S. - It should be mentioned that libsoup is currently part of the Soup
project, which is a developmental SOAP implementation. libsoup is
however logically separate from the SOAP-specific code.