Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/09/14

Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/09/14

Today, Ireland and much of Europe conducted a day of mourning as a mark of
respect for our American friends. We conducted this meeting on IRC as it was
difficult to organise the conference call at this time.

Present
=======

Maciej Stachowiak (chair)
Jeff Waugh (minutes)
Jody Golberg
Jamin Gray
Telsa Gwynne
Greg Leblanc
Dan Mueth
Sander Vesik
Daniel Veillard

Missing or regrets
==================

Karl Gaffney
Kjartan Marass
Michael Meeks
Seth Nickell

Previous actions
================

  ACTION: Sander to set up weekly phone conferences
    => In progress

  ACTION: Dan to ask John Fleck about Docs coordinator duties
    => Done, no news as yet

Actions
=======

  ACTION: Maciej, Sander and Telsa to write up a detailed schedule for
    discussion next meeting (due Tuesday, 2001/09/18)

  ACTION: Sander to post platform libraries list for comments (ASAP)

  ACTION: Maciej to determine frozen libraries and gather lists of pending
    changes (after discussion of the platform libraries)

  ACTION: Maciej to announce platform alpha release dates

  ACTION: Jeff to contact Christian Marillat regarding Debian packages
    => Done, Christian is waiting on some other packages, will be working
    around them in the mean time

Decisions & Discussions
=======================

  - Overall schedule should take into account the six weeks of slippage
	we've had already, which puts the release at about January 20.

  - Will include all release dates, package due dates, freeze dates, etc.,
	and will be drafted by small team: Maciej, Sander and Telsa.

  - Michael should be involved, but is on holidays for this week.

  - Will be very hard to stop changes leading up to release, must have
	layered and documented approach.

  - We should finalise list of platform libraries, mark frozen libraries,
	and request list of pending API changes for others.

  - Perhaps developers should request additional API changes through release
	team, "approved bug numbers" system.

  - Bottom layer of libraries critical, changes there may filter up.

  - Platform alpha can and should be released with not-quite-frozen
	libraries.

  - 48 hours due-date to platform alpha release turnaround, discussion of
	packaging issues.

Future items

  - Kickstarting GNOME 2.0 applications list

  - Avoiding mirror/ftp catastrophe of GNOME 1.4 release

- Jeff

--
  "NASCAR is not race per se. It's just a contest about who can turn left
                            the best." - Unknown