Re: gdk_threads_init? (was Re: IMPORTANT: a big problem with gnome 2)

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 03:00:31PM -0400, jacob berkman wrote:

> > > I think that gnome-vfs probably could do its thread initialization lazily.
> > > But that still doesn't guarantee it will happen after gtk_init, does it?
> >
> > While I don't think initializing GNOME really should initialize
> > threading (~10% performance hit from glib and libc overhead)
>
> so it seems that libgnome doesn't even make any gnome-vfs calls (aside
> from gnome_vfs_init()).  is the dependency on gnome-vfs somewhere other
> than the .c and configure.in files?

This is mostly because some implementations were not done.  It is supposed to
use gnome-vfs for a bunch of things.  Especially in libgnomeui, but there's
no time for gnome2.

> libgnomeui does make gnome-vfs calls, and, in gnome-vfs-util.c, async
> ones.  however, it's only in one file.

The best would be for gnome-vfs to be able to init lazily completely.  Thus
only people who hit any gnome-vfs functionality hit the init.

Any app doing file access should really use gnome-vfs anyway ...

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   A good memory is needed after one has lied.