Re: IMPORTANT: a big problem with gnome 2

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 02:35:25PM -0400, jacob berkman wrote:
> On Sun, 2001-10-21 at 14:30, Darin Adler wrote:
> > on 10/21/01 11:26 AM, jacob berkman at jacob ximian com wrote:
> >
> > > however, i don't really understand the gnome program stuff (does
> > > anyone?), so there could be a better way of doing it there.  or,
> > > gnome-vfs could do its thread initialization stuff lazily - i don't know
> > > if this is realistic or not.
> >
> > I think that gnome-vfs probably could do its thread initialization lazily.
> > But that still doesn't guarantee it will happen after gtk_init, does it?
>
> if none of the lib's module init functions make vfs async calls, then it
> wouldn't get initialized until the app does.
>
> so you are right, but it still might work.
>
> another idea would be to have a way to tell gtk that you want to use
> threads with it...

Actually I think I understand the gnome-program  init stuff fairly well, and
your solution as is is actually not that bad.  It actually makes sense to
have the given module come before, since the deps will make sure everything
works.  Then add libgnome on the end just to make sure.

Unfortunately you can't list gtk as a requirement to the vfs stuff since
that'd make libgnome dependent on gtk and libgnomeui.  But since you are
initing libgnomeui, it's the libgnomeui module that should take care of
correct ordering and dependencies.

What I'm trying to say is that your solution is good.  And makes sense
in the way gnome-program init works.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>