Re: Panel 2 rules!

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:05:52PM -0400, Alex Larsson wrote:
> I sort of agree. We need to be a bit more organized here, but on the other
> hand, it's hard to split up the work when it just does nothing at all.
>
> I feel we need to have it in a state where you can look at it and say
> "this part doesn't work, i'll fix that". Right now that is very hard,
> because it just does nothing.

 From experience, when 8 people say they will do work on the panel, there
will be only 1 or 2 people working on it very actively, and the others
doing things every once in a while.  I think all we need is for people to
say "I'll be hacking on this" on this list or something, so that we know what
people are hacking on.  Also I read changelog so I see what people are
hacking on.  Of course, this requires all people to work on the same branch
and to commit their changes when they do them.  When you get screwed is when
everybody has his own private tree and only commits once in a blue moon since
then it just won't work.

Besides, it seems there is no discussion yet as to what will get hacked so I
don't see how any extra process would help out.  Anyway, here's what I will
be hacking on this weekend (If I feel like it of course):

1) gnome-vfs module for reading desktop files and having it use that for menus
   (that will still use GnomeDesktopItem or whatnot, it will just change the
    file access in the panel to gnome-vfs)
2) GnomeDItemEdit, it's pretty screwed
3) GnomeDesktopItem needs to store comments use gnome-vfs, etc...
4) Fixing random FIXMEs that I encounter and feel like fixing

For large items I suppose putting things in bugzilla might work as well.  But
a hand written text file is much easier/faster for smaller items.

BTW, I don't think the original gnome-libs way of doing things was such a
disaster as people make it out to be.  It came out better then a lot of
software that was "designed".  I think the disaster came when people stopped
working on gnome-libs, and half of it's functionality was half finished.  I
also don't get any sick feeling when reading panel source code, it's not
the prettiest code, but it's not that bad.  One can't be a perfectionist when
hacking on the panel.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   I thoroughly disapprove of duels.  If a man should challenge