Re: Panel 2 rules!

On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 21:20, George wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 08:22:09PM -0400, Alex Larsson wrote:
> > http://people.redhat.com/alexl/panel2-2.jpg
> >
> > Warning. It takes several minutes to load, because the iconv
> > conversion to UTF8 of the desktop files for the launchers is *extremely*
> > slow. On second runs it will be fast though, because it is already
> > converted to UTF8.
> >
> > It will also hose your current panel config.
>
> Coolio!
>
> BTW.  We need to all figure out a plan of action of what to hack on the
> panel.  Mainly, I think it's who hacks what.  For a moment a dirty thought
> entered my mind about needing policy for panel hacking.  Then I remembered
> that I really hate policy, so of course there still is none.

this is a problem.  there are many people interested in working on the
panel - myself, alex, the sun guys, you, maybe even some day some
outside contributor.

if we don't have a list of:

	1. what needs to be done
	2. who is doing what

then there is no way to have any idea on:

	1. what things are remaining
	2. who is at fault when things don't happen (so other people can
take over)
	3. what things nobody is working on

i mean, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while but 8
people randomly hacking on some code is not going to lead to anything
good.

so the obvious thing to do would be to use bugzilla (of course).

but this only works if people actually follow this, and don't just
"randomly go through fixing FIXME's".

this is the same thing that happened to the old gnome-libs.  i really
don't want to see it repeated here again.

so i know that you are all for randomly working on things, but it just
not going to work here.

honestly, i feel at this point it is a waste of my time to even go in
and read any of the panel code, as there is no direction on things.

[ this doesn't even count the sick feeling i get in my stomach when i
read panel code.  i am neither kidding nor trying to be funny.  it is
really that bad. ]

so, can we agree to have a bit of organization here before we fuck
ourselves again?

jacob