vicious-build-scripts, head, gtk+, and the usual weird error messages

Gnomes:

Verily did the brave apprentice warrior hoist his master's shield and sword
(Mandrake 8.0 and g++ 2.96, respectively), and venture forth to rove in the
wilds. Being young in the ways of valour he brought with him a scroll of good
fortunes, entitled "vicious-build-scripts".

When the evening sun cast his shadows across the first fork in the road he
consulted the VBS, and from the lore of their README file chose he the path
to the ancient citadel of Head.

In the dusk of evening the forces of atk, of glib, and of gnome-common
assailed him, but with the green strength of youth did he unchap them, one by
one, from nave to gibbet.

In the hour of full dark the peacible quiet of his camp was broken by the
elusive mysteries of pango, and the gibbering hordes from Babylon that call
themselves xml-i18n-tools.

But as the night waned to dawn his strength did not last, and he was dismayed
by the banshee audiofile and the spectral gtk+.

Older, weary, and his chin not so high the brave apprentice did retreat to
his village, there to consult the masters about the meanings of the words
still ringing in his hears that the foul demons had shrieked after him as he
fled, in lasting mockery of his shame:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../libaudiofile    -g -O2 -c `test -f
twentyfour.c || echo './'`twentyfour.c
twentyfour.c: In function `main':
twentyfour.c:232: Internal compiler error in emit_move_insn_1, at expr.c:2830

and:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile @AS@  @ASFLAGS@ -c -o have_mmx.lo `test
-f have_mmx.S || echo './'`have_mmx.S
rm -f .libs/have_mmx.lo
@AS@ @ASFLAGS@ -c have_mmx.S  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/have_mmx.lo
../../libtool: @AS@: command not found

--
  Phlip                          phlip_cpp my-deja com
   http://www.greencheese.org/AndNowaNitelyLitelyUrbanOne