Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

On 10 Oct 2001, Iain wrote:

> > The good news is that there is no
> > reason in the world we can't release a new version of GNOME (2.0.1 or even
> > 2.2) relatively soon after 2.0.  Shorter release cycles would be good, I
> > think.
> >

> Because we'll get users/journos who judge Gnome 2 by the state of the
> Gnome2.0 release. Remember "GNOME is buggy" because of the state of
> gnome 1.0 even though Gnome 1.0.1 was better? We will be judged on the
> state of the gnome 2.0 release, and if Gnome 2.0 doesn't have any reason
> to upgrade or any user visible changes then people will think that gnome
> 2.0.1 will have no user visible changes.

By the same account, doing 1.4.1 is also extremely pointless. We should
have delayed gnome 1.4 to around now.

> And if we're releasing gnome 2.0, but it's not going to be any better
> (user wise) than gnome 1.4 (and lets be honest, it's not), and then

I'm not sure where rthis myth comes from.

> releasing gnome 2.0.1 (or even 2.2) a few months later, then why not
> delay the gnome 2.0 release by a month?

See above for gnome 1.4.1. Just because you are delaying it by a month
does not mean people will spend that time making the delayed by one month
gnome2 better. They will just go off an hack new, irrelevant and totally
buggy features.

> Or another option is:
> We release the gnome 2.0 platform when we are happy with it and then
> when we've got what would be this mystical wonder release you suggest
> for 2.0.1 (or 2.2 (heck, talk about version inflation)) release it as
> the gnome 2.0 desktop.

Because gnome2.0.1 or gnome2.2 or gnome2.3 or gnome3 of gnomeX (aka
gnome10) or whatever are not going to be wonder releases aswell. There is
no such beast.

> > Absolutely.  It's often very small things, such as the default look and feel
> > that add so much polish to a release.
>
> Polish is useless if no-one is using it.
>
> iain
>
> --
> "It isn't rebels who cause the troubles of the world,
> it's the troubles that cause the rebels." - Carl Oglesby

	Sander

I haven't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed.