Re: Panel 2 rules!

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, George wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 08:22:09PM -0400, Alex Larsson wrote:
> > http://people.redhat.com/alexl/panel2-2.jpg
> >
> > Warning. It takes several minutes to load, because the iconv
> > conversion to UTF8 of the desktop files for the launchers is *extremely*
> > slow. On second runs it will be fast though, because it is already
> > converted to UTF8.
> >
> > It will also hose your current panel config.
>
> Coolio!
>
> BTW.  We need to all figure out a plan of action of what to hack on the
> panel.  Mainly, I think it's who hacks what.  For a moment a dirty thought
> entered my mind about needing policy for panel hacking.  Then I remembered
> that I really hate policy, so of course there still is none.

I will keep chipping away on it. Fixing small things. Tomorrow maybe i'll
finish the desktop file parser in desktop-file-validator and put it in
gnome-core (libgnome??), so that the panel can use it for loading desktop
files. It does not convert all of the file to utf-8, so it will be a lot
faster.

> Anyway, I feel like hacking on the menus at some point in the future.  Unless
> someone else makes it all work first.

Let's race!

> There has been talk of a new widget structure which I think is a good idea,
> there was talk of bonobization and other random buzzword additions.

No, no, no. Not time. Just make it work. We can rewrite parts of it later,
when we've got 2.0 up.

> What's the point of this email?  Not sure, I think I wanted to start
> discussion about what gets done to the panel and who does it.

My plan is to grep for #ifdef FIXME, and convert them to gnome 2. Thereby
slowly making the panel useful. I have absolutely no clue about the panel
codebase, so this is the only way for me to do something.

But we need the panel running, soon.

/ Alex