Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

Jamin Philip Gray wrote:

> > > (Try 2: My first try was too depressing to finish :)
> > >
> > > gnome-utils needs made useful. Can we add gnome-games and gnome-media
> > > into the list as well?
> >
> > I'm all for crack removal.
>
> I'll second that...no more crack!
>
> > > We need something like
> > > http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.0-features.html
> > > SOON! (sorry to keep bitching about this, but as dot.kde.org says "With
> > > the Qt port out of the way, the KDE developers can now focus on the
> > > planned KDE improvements."
> >
> > One difference is that we do not yet have the Gtk (and other
> > underlying libraries) port out of the way yet. What we should learn
> > from KDE is that we need to get that done ASAP if there is to be time
> > for new features.
>
> Yes.  There are many, many things we'd all like to see done to improve GNOME,
> but I agree that the right approach is to release GNOME 2 in the current
> schedule, which basically means, port.  The good news is that there is no
> reason in the world we can't release a new version of GNOME (2.0.1 or even
> 2.2) relatively soon after 2.0.  Shorter release cycles would be good, I
> think.

I really have to reiterate that we should take advantage of the new
platform stuff in the user-exposed parts of core (panel, control center,
some file manager, help browser, terminal).  Otherwise the release
itself makes no sense except as a developer release.  In the case of
accessibility, that means everything (in core) needs to port to
GTK+-2.0, and also needs to implement ATK interfaces, provide keyboard
navigation, and respect theming.

I think there is still time to do this if we plan for it now, and make
sure that we have prioritized and resourced the bits that need to get
done to achieve this.  The platform part is now in place, including a
rudimentary but functional at-spi, but without support in the 'core'
utilities it has no value for the users.

-Bill