Re: GnomeProgram in libgnome

Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM> writes:
> I *really* hope this is a honest typo and gnome programs do take only the
> -display (note one dash) option. Forking from the normal X conventions
> does not sound like a good idea.

This is one flame war that hasn't come up for a year or two. ;-)
(It has come up before.)

Of course the reason for avoiding one-dash long options is ambiguity
with merged single-character options.

Also, adding support for just this one option with a single dash
doesn't fix the problem, since consistency with X would imply all the
options taking single dash.

We also lack some options we should have, such as -geometry, in most
apps.

Very few people use these features anymore anyway, so personally I
find it hard to care much...

Havoc