Re: The critical path

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
> Core Applets
> ============
>
>  * We need a tasklist that works with the new window manager hints

 * The pager wncklet needs a simple properties dialog (only needs a
   couple of settings though) and a bit of work to get the details
   down

 * Some of the non-core applets are close to critical; I would say the
   load meter, CD player, battery applet, at minimum. We can't punt
   all non-core applets, though some of them are not important. These
   are more critical than say the standalone CD player, because you
   can still use the 1.4 CD player with GNOME 2, but you can't use 1.4
   applets.

> Havoc posted a long detailed TODO to nautilus a while ago,

Here is the link:

  http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2001-November/006119.html

One of those items (editable icon text canvas item) also applies to
control center if we use the icon list c-c shell, and is an open API
change to libgnomeui. So this is a high priority item.

> Control Center
> ==============

I would add:

  - get it compiling and basically starting up

  - the theme selector (what CVS module is this in now? it doesn't
    seem to be in gnome-control-center) needs to support GTK 2,
    and also 1.2

  - gconf-xsettings-manager needs sorting out, so we can set
    the default font and the theme; theme capplet needs to be
    aware of this, schemas for the GTK settings need to be
    written

  - Nautilus needs to be updated to work with the background
    capplet, and the GConf background settings

  - I'm not sure where the session capplet lives (gnome-core?), but it
    probably needs porting

  - there is still a bunch of archiver and so on stuff in there, which
    has never been reconciled with the prefs/session management plan;
    I hate to ship this without some coherent sense made out of it.
    See porting-doc/session-management.xml for latest plan.

> Terminal
> ========
>
>  * Need to get preferences working

Or at least broken in the same arguably-somewhat-working way they
were in 1.4. ;-)

Havoc