Re: PKG_CONFIG_PATH & ACLOCAL_FLAGS in the vicious-build-scripts

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 11:19:01PM -0600, Chema Celorio wrote:
> Why are the vicious build scripts (for "gnome-head" at least) not
> setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH and ACLOCAL_FLAGS ?
>
> I have to type them manualy, or modify ~/bin/gnome-head to compile gnome
> 2.0.

That's how they are designed. You have a completely sand-boxed build
system in /gnome/head or wherever, with it's own copy of automake,
autoconf, libtool, etc (at one point vbs where using somewhat different
versions from what was in a "normal" distro). The setup (requiring
people to source ~/bin/gnome-head before starting) also got around
problems in the pre-parallel install days where there were a lot of
namespace clashes.

Most of those points are now no longer applicable, but there may be
other traps waiting in the wings, I don't know. A lot of us just have ".
~/bin/gnome-head" in .bashrc without bad things happening.

I guess it's up to George whether we make vbd mainstream or not.

Malcolm

--
Always try to be modest and be proud of it!