The GnomeIconList mess and some API stuff

Hello,

I've recently had a look at GnomeIconList, trying to figure out why it
isn't displaying any text labels. It seems like it's using a
GnomeCanvasRichText item for icon labels.

According to Havoc, this is an utter waste of memory so it obviously
needs to be fixed. My plan is therefore to bring back GnomeIconTextItem
from gnome-libs 1, and make it use pango instead of GdkFont.

So basically the API added is that from gnome-libs's gnome-icon-item.h,
which is 7 functions.

There's also an API change to GnomeIconList. The function

GnomeCanvasRichText *gnome_icon_list_get_icon_text_item (GnomeIconList
*gil, int idx);

needs to be changed to return a GnomeIconTextItem instead. This function
is for accessibility only, so nothing else should use it.

The only application I know (except for gnome-libs) using
GnomeIconTextItem is Nautilus, and that code has been #ifdefed out i the
GNOME 2 port of Nautilus since there isn't an alternative right now, so
the API change isn't that big.

Opinions?

//andersca
andersca gnu org