Re: help browser plan

On 26 Nov 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> > Right now, the top 3 candidates, mozilla, gtkhtml1 and gtkhtml2, all
> > sound like they won't be ready in time.
> >

> Well, there are two mitigating factors for help browser:
>
>  - the lib doesn't need to be API/ABI frozen, it can be "internal"
>  - it only needs to display our usual DocBook output, it doesn't have
>    to handle arbitrary web pages

Yes. This leads me to belive that GtkHTML2 is an excellent choice. It is
already ported to gtk+ 2 (was written for it even), and it already handles
many web pages, so I don't think the DocBook output will be any problem.

GtkHtml1 needs porting to Gnome 2, and Mozilla needs porting to Gtk2 if it
is to be embedded.

> Shipping sans help browser isn't an option really (though using the
> one in Nautilus is an option, I'm not sure it makes things easier).

There will be no nautilus one unless someone ports Mozilla to gtk 2, or
someone ports bonobo 2 to gtk 1.2.

/ Alex