Re: change request: libbonobo[ui]

On 18Nov2001 06:13PM (-0500), Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> 	I need to add a method 'dispose' to the Control interface IDL.
> This will have precicely no impact on any C binding, and is neccessary
> since - with connection sharing in the ORB ( neccessary for any
> vestige of speed / efficiency ), we are not garenteed that the
> connection will die except in pathalogical failure mode, and thus we
> need a way of signaling clean exit [1].
>
> 	To examine the details see libbonoboui/doc/control.txt, this
> is holding up my ongoing polishing of the control / control-frame
> lifecycle issues.
>
> 	The change will have no bincompat effect.
>
> 	Regards,
>
> 		Michael.
>
> [1] - the irony being that we have a converse situation to Bonobo 1.0
> where only unclean exits are handled properly :-)

Since it won't affect other code and helps resolve our critical
process leak problem, this change is acceptable.

It seems a bit weird that this dispose mthod is needed for correct
life cycle management in addition to ref/unref, and makes me wonder if
there mightn't still be a potential for leaks in the life cycle
management scheme, but it's not mu place to review such matters.

Regards,

Maciej