Re: Review of libgnomeui's construct-time properties

On Sun, 2001-11-18 at 15:02, Tim Janik wrote:
> widgets don't need to be unpacked, there's widget_show and widget_hide.

Yes, I thought of that. I'm not sure that whether GTK_WIDGET_REALIZED(widget)
is going to be a perfect replacement for widget != NULL here. I also think that
the actual order is affected, not just whether they exist. I'll dive into the code
again later.

> > > on gnome_druid_page_edge_new_with_vals(), all its values are runtime
> > > changable already, it has set funcitons for its args.
> >
> > I do not know whether these things can really be set again after
> > construction. If that functionality hasn't been used yet, then I suspect
> > that the specific _construct() function is still needed first to make
> > that possible.
>
> eh? there are setters for these things, so you can set them
> at any time.

Of course that's theoretically possible, but my point is that nobody has yet
created one of these widgets without using the _new() function and then
successfully set the arg. It might work, but that wasn't intended before so I
wouldn't expect it to work magically now.

> > I didn't know that the old args system and the new properties system
> > work together. So maybe it's safe to convert them to properties.
> >
> > I did think that libgnomeui probably shouldn't use deprecated
> > interfaces, and I'd like some libgnomeui maintainer to say whether they
> > should be converted. Of course, a week later, it's too late now.
>
> they should be converted, yes.
> and converting from the arg system to the property system is not
> an API issue, so i don't see why its too late...

Good point.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net