Re: libgnomeui patch

on 11/4/01 9:22 AM, Havoc Pennington at hp redhat com wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
>> If I were really clever I'd write a tool to check this, and also that
>> no public or module headers include private headers, which is a bug
>> that has come up before.
>
> Don't overengineer it, just do some hacks like:
>
> #ifdef GNOME_VFS_NOT_SUPPOSED_TO_BE_DEFINED
> #error "wrong header included here"
> #endif
>
> that sort of thing...

The goal is to catch these problems when building libgnomevfs. I think that
the thing you propose would only catch problems later, when clients use
gnome-vfs. That's what's already happening, and that's the problem :-)

That's the reason you might write a tool.

And the tool could be really simple, so I don't think creating a tool would
be overengineering. I think we make too little use of such tools, and
overengineering is not the main risk here. For example, we could write a
simple tool to catch cases where the parent class inside the .c file doesn't
match the parent class in the instance and class structures in the .h file.

    -- Darin