Re: Sound in Gnome 2.0

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:08:57AM +0800, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 08:37:24PM +0000, Pablo Baena wrote:
[...]
> > Now that Gnome is going to break compatibility, should be the time to
> > make this changes and start porting to CSL. I know I may seem like a
> > back-seat coder, but as soon as there is a resolution on this I'll help
> > porting applications or do documentation.
>
> Four or five months ago when the GNOME developers were talking about
> what would break and what would be in the 2.0 releases would have been
> the time to make the change you proposed if everybody was convinced it
> was truly better and didn't just introduce new problems in place of the
> old ones. Right now, APIs for GNOME 2.0 are frozen and porting is under
> way. You best target your efforts at GNOME 2.2 or beyond (2.2 may turn
> out to be a fine-tuning release with extra bells and whistles, so a
> major infrastructure change may not be appropriate -- but nobody really
> knows yet).

Urgh! That possibly came across wrongly. I meant to say that you had
best target your efforts for getting the sound server changed to GNOME
2.2 and beyond.

Any other efforts you'd like to put in with regards to porting and
documentation are, of course, most welcome in GNOME 2.0. :-)

Malcolm

--
Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?