Re: ORBit2 and linc - licensing?
- From: Jon Trowbridge <trow ximian com>
- To: Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM>
- Cc: Matthew Copeland <matthewc designlab ukans edu>, orbit-list gnome org, matthew copeland honeywell com, Alex Graveley <alex ximian com>, gnome-2-0-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: ORBit2 and linc - licensing?
- Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:37:18 -0400
On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:53:24PM +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> Well... if you really wanted to get an answer in this or any other matter,
> you would go to your (company's) lawyers and ask them. Is FSF qualified to
> give legal advice?
* I've heard of several cases of company lawyers looking at the GPL and
coming up with some pretty surreal interpretations of it. I'm sure
that Sun has some lawyers who understand the GPL quite well, but
that isn't going to be true of any random company. (Remember, 20% of all
lawyers graduated in the bottom fifth of their law school class.)
* RMS is not a lawyer (RMSINAL?), but his knowledge of the law surrounding
the GPL is extremely impressive. And in my experience, he will promptly
and carefully respond to pretty much any question --- as long as it isn't
"can I get around the GPL if I do X?", of course. :-)
 Here I'm using "surreal" as a polite term for "stupidly,
obviously, blindingly wrong".
] [Thread Prev